The TRA is responsible for managing the public numbering schemes and for issuing the National Numbering Plan as well as developing the overall national numbering strategy for the Sultanate with the objective of ensuring that the number allocation process is fair and transparent so as to provide a level playing field regarding the availability of numbers to all operators.
Due to numbers and codes being national resources, it is imperative that the TRA manages the National Numbering Plan in the interest of the Sultanate and all concerned stakeholders.
The National Numbering Plan stipulates the terms and conditions by which numbering resources are classified and allocated to operators. Numbering resources are allocated to the operators as per their request and on payment of a fee set out by the National Numbering Plan. Currently the numbering resource in the Sultanate is classified as follows:
- Fixed numbers
- Mobile numbers
- SMS Short code: five digit SMS codes to which the subscriber sends messages to request a particular service or participate in a contest, whether this service requested is from an operator or a television contest.
- Toll Free Numbers: The 800 numbering range, in which the subscriber does not pay for the call – the company which has been allocated the toll number has to pay for the service.
- Short Codes:Four digit codes which can be used for public services.
- Premium Rate Numbers:These are in the 900 numbering range. The subscriber uses the number to request special services which is usually charged higher than the normal tariff.
- For more details please read the National Numbering Plan.
The table below shows the total up-to-date numbering resource allocated to operators within 5 years from 2010 to 2014.
|Type of Numbering resource||2010 allocation||2011 allocation||2012 allocation||2013 allocation||2014 allocation|
|International Signaling Point codes||-||0||1||0||-|
|National signaling point codes||20||21||46||17||48|
|Voice short codes||5||1||2||2||2|
|SMS short codes||49||130||52||30||64|
|toll free numbers||62||103||116||123||109|